Growing up, my dad, made the best bran muffins and the best everything. He was the cook in our house. So, to carry on his legacy I decided to make some bran muffins.
Recipe adopted from allrecipes.com
Ingredients: makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups of oat bran (can use wheat bran)
- 1 cup buttermilk (can sub in fat free plain yogurt)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (in place of veggie oil)
- 1 egg (can sub in 2 egg whites)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (in place of all-purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins (will use 1 1/2 cups of raisins next time, since I used less sugar and J wants more raisins :))
You can also add carrots with the raisins or use dried cranberries, apples, or bananas if you’re not a fan of raisins.
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Mix together oat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Beat together applesauce, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended. Fold in raisins (or other additions) and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories: 124 Total Fat: 1.6g Cholesterol: 16.7mg
These are really yummy and great for breakfast or a pre-workout snack.