Normally every year before the new year I write down a set of goals for myself. This year I realized that I did not write them out. Some are in my head and others just come and go. So today was my day to reevaluate my passion/s and goals for the remainder of the year. I think this task will help me from feeling like I’m all over the place and put a plan in to actions for the following categorizes of my life: Faith, Fitness, Family, Career, Educational, Personal, Hobbies, etc.
Here are some ways to help you find your passion and to set goals.
You set your goals on a number of levels:
- First you create your “big picture” of what you want to do with your life (or over, say, the next 10 years), and identify the large-scale goals that you want to achieve.
- Then, you break these down into the smaller and smaller targets that you must hit to reach your lifetime goals.
- Finally, once you have your plan, you start working on it to achieve these goals.
This is why we start the process of goal setting by looking at your lifetime goals. Then, we work down to the things that you can do in, say, the next five years, then next year, next month, next week, and today, to start moving towards them.
- Is there something you already love doing? Do you have a hobby, or something you loved doing as a child, but never considered it as a possibility? Whether it’s reading comic books, collecting something, making something, creating or building, there is probably a way you could do it for a living. Open a comic book shop, or create a comic book site online. If there’s already something you love doing, you’re ahead of the game. Now you just need to research the possibilities of making money from it.
- What do you spend hours reading about? For myself, when I get passionate about something, I’ll read about it for hours on end. I’ll buy books and magazines. I’ll spend days on the Internet finding out more. There may be a few possibilities here for you … and all of them are possible career paths. Don’t close your mind to these topics. Look into them.
What is your passion and what are some goals you have set for yourself?